Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Edgware Town - Silver Jubilee Park

Edgware Town FC
Silver Jubilee Park
Townsend Lane
Kingsbury
London
NW9 7NE




Ground Number: 446
Monday 22nd December 2014
Edgware Town 0-6 Hemel Hempstead Town
Friendly




Originally on this day, I was supposed to be doing Barkingside v Grays Athletic in the Ryman League Cup with Anwar. But at 10am on the day of the game he text me to say that he couldn't make it as he was looking after his kids as his mum had been called into work. Resigning myself to a night in, I struggled through a very busy day with little motivation, though I knew that at least I had 5 days off for Christmas. After starting at 3.45 in the morning, I finished 10 hours later and drove home.

Normally I’d have a bath and lunch, but I wasn’t hungry, and in any case my Dad was going up our local brewery. I went to see what ciders they had got in from other producers, as though Rebellion are only a beer maker they do get in some ciders from other local places. I had myself around half a pint of samples for stuff that I had tried before. I got myself a couple of bottles of stuff that they were not sampling, including an award winning one for Christmas lunch.

I came home, expecting to play a night of Football Manager, but then I noticed on Twitter that there was a game at Edgware Town that night. I was going to save it for worse weather as they have a 3G pitch. But with me having lost my night out earlier, free entry to a Friendly against Conference South team Hemel Hempstead Town sounded decent. I would also get to eat at home as it was such a short journey, meaning it would be a cheap night out.

I left around 6.15 expecting lots of traffic, but there was none at all and I arrived at the ground an hour later. There was a bit of confusion finding the ground at first as the postcode was for some way away, but after following the floodlights I was there. I had about half an hour to get some pictures of the ground and check out Facebook.

The game itself was very one sided. Hemel were in the lead within 10 minutes when the number 7 who was the best player on the pitch put a good ball across the box after some good footwork for someone to tap in. It was 2-0 on 37 minutes although I didn’t see the goal as I was replying to a message on my phone. On 52 minutes it was 3-0 with a cracking 30 yard shot that flew in the top corner. 2 penalties and a goal that was down to poor defending completed the rout, though it could have been many more if it wasn’t for some last ditch tackles and good saves by the keeper. In the end though, 6-0 was a fair reflection of Hemel’s dominance. 

After the game I had a good journey home again, and got in just after 10. I spent the rest of the evening playing Football Manager and watching Coronation Street while chatting on Facebook. Next up will be another local game, a revisit to Flackwell Heath v Oxford City Nomads as I still do no have programme from my previous 2 visits there.

SILVER JUBILEE PARK used to be the home of Kingsbury Town, and then (Kingsbury) London Tigers. Though the former no longer exist, the latter play around 5 miles away in Greenford. Edgware Town moved into the newly refurbished ground mid way through the season after starting it at Underhill, the former ground of Barnet FC

The ground has a 3G pitch, which is great for the bad weather. The biggest stand is along the side and is all seated, holding around 250. Although it is elevated, it has several pillars blocking your view. The only other cover is behind the goal, a smallish terrace holding around 200, which is set quite high up and set back from the pitch. There is a fair bit of opening terracing and standing, giving it a capacity of around 2000.


The bar and tea bar were closed on my visit, as it was avery low key game, though it looked pretty decent and was of a fairly large side. There are a fair few takeaways within walking distance of the ground too. 





















2 comments:

  1. Your ground touring efforts put mine to shame... I try hard to get round as many grounds as I can but I've still only been to 112 grounds.. That's about 1/4 of the amount you've been too! Great effort mate!

    Really enjoy reading your blog.

    I've recently started up http://www.footballphotos.co.uk and was wondering if you'd be willing to do a link exchange. I think your site is an excellent read and would really love to hear back from you about a reciprocal link.

    Thanks and keep up the great work!

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, will add you to my links once you have out some stuff up

      Delete