Friday, 12 October 2012

Buxton - The Silverlands



Buxton FC
The Silverlands

Buxton 
Derbyshire
SK17 6QH

0129 823197






Matchday Number: 221
Wednesday 10th October 2012
Buxton 2-1 Hednesford Town
FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Replay


On the final day of my footballing marathon, I had decided to go into Manchester beforehand. Initially I had planned to park in Bury and get the tram in, but after looking at various websites it looked like I could get parking for around £4 in Manchester and that would make things far easier. So after having a breakfast of grapes and a few mince pies, I set off.

After trying to find a reasonably priced car park, I saw one fairly close to the centre that was advertising all day parking for £4. However it turned out to be lies and they wanted £13. Even worse I scraped my bumper on a well hidden low wall, luckily most of the damage can be polished out, but a pain all the same. Eventually I found somewhere that did 12 hours parking for a fiver, luckily they offered payment over the phone as I didn't have much change on me.


First stop was the Football Museum. I had previously been to it when it was at Preston North End's ground but that was around 10 or so years ago. The fact that it was free admission made it even more attractive, though I did make a small donation to help out with the upkeep. The place turned out to be fantastic, so much to see, I must have spent an hour or 2 in there. My favourite section was the media part, covering all the sensational headlines in the papers and radio and TV commentaries. 


After that I had a look around some shops. Manchester was a brilliant city, I'd probably put it as my second favourite place after Newcastle. After buying not much I went to my final stop before heading off somewhere else, a pub called the Crown and Kettle. It turned out to be fairly decent, had a pint of Broadoak Cider. It was while in here that I was left with the decision of whether to go to Ashton United v Marine in the Northern Premier League or Buxton v Hednesford Town in the FA Cup. After much deliberation, I opted for the Buxton game as it was not that much further in terms of mileage, and was also in the FA Cup, which I am a big fan of. It was 4PM and as Buxton was only an hour or so away, I decided to travel up to Salford to see what that was like as I had time to kill. It turned out to be a let down, as after heavy traffic I arrived at 5PM and some of the shops had closed by then. But still I picked up a cider that I had never had before, and at around 5.40 I had finished and was on my way to Buxton.

After a couple of brief delays on the motorway, I was well on my way. Whilst I had checked out the mileage on my Sat Nav, I had not accounted for the single track roads and some numpty sticking at half the speed limit. Still, I arrived with half an hour to go to kick off and so went straight in. £9 plus £1.50 for a programme was decent value. I had been told that The Silverlands was a ground with a bit of character and so this turned out to be the case, I got some nice pictures. I then sought out the club shop which had a fair selection of programmes. I opted against a pennant this time as they wanted £10, which is way too much when space on your wall is very tight.


After reading a bit of the programme and looking at my phone it was time for kick off and so I took a seat in the stand. All in all it was a fairly good game, as this report from the Buxton Advertiser demonstrates.



BUXTON secured themselves a meeting with Blue Square North big-guns Guiseley after knocking out Hednesford Town in a thrilling roller-coaster ride of an FA Cup tie.
Despite squandering a second-half lead during Wednesday evenings’s bruising Third Qualifying Round replay, and suffering the setback of having a player sent off early in extra-time, the Bucks pulled out all the stops to keep alive their dream of a first appearance in the First Round Proper for 50 years.
The decisive goal in this topsy-turvy match was scored from the penalty spot by Lee Morris in the 101st minute, after Hednesford keeper Dan Crane, who up until that point had kept his side in the tie with some fantastic saves, clumsily brought down substitute Michael Towey in the area.
Yet few would have foretold the drama that lay ahead after the game started with a scrappy opening 45-minutes, which produced few clear-cut goalscoring opportunities for the 300 spectators at the Silverlands.
The Pitmen’s best goalscoring opportunity of the half fell to Neil Harvey, whose glancing header from a set-piece was deflected wide by Ben Bailey.
Crane, after punching clear a free-kick in the opening ten minutes, was rarely troubled, although Morris got within inches of connecting with a free header from a Kevin Sandwith corner-kick, and then fluffed a half-chance in front of goal after a good ball into the box by Neil Stevens.
Bucks boss Martin McIntosh was forced into making his first change on the stroke of half-time as the injured Kyle Nix was substituted for Sam Duncum, and after the break it was the visitors who were the quickest out of the blocks, with Ian Deakin having to be alert to deny Aaron Rey and James Osborne, and then diving low to his right to push a 20-yard free-kick around the post.
But from that moment on, the momentum swung emphatically in Buxton’s favour as they put on a breath-taking display of attacking football which culminated in the home side’s opening goal - only after some heroics from the Pitmen’s custodian.
After diving to save a Mark Reed header from a Marc Roberts long throw, Crane was equal to the Buxton talisman’s volley seconds later and then blocked a thundering shot by the striker point-blank.
But this only delayed the inevitable, and when a quick break by Morris produced a fizzing cross across the face of goal, Reed was there to finish at the far post to give Buxton a deserved 70th-minute lead.
This, however, was short-lived as Hednesford equalised four minutes later. After pulling off a great block to deny Elliott Durrell, there was little Deakin could do when Rey’s scuffed effort was deflected past the wrong-footed keeper by captain Dave MacPherson.
With the score still level after 180 minutes of football, the game entered extra time, and Buxton made the worst possible start when their captain Steve Istead was dismissed after receiving his second yellow card. Reed was quickly sacrificed for Michael Towey, and it was the midfielder’s fresh legs and injection of pace that ultimately played a part in the winning goal.
After Morris had tucked away the penalty, Deakin produced another block to deny Hednesford substitute Michael Lennon, while at the other end a pacy Duncum run down the left almost produced a third goal but his cross couldn’t find the Bucks’ lone frontman.Bailey saw red late on for the visitors following a second bookable offence, as Buxton saw out the remaining minutes comfortably.

I had enjoyed my visit, but now faced a pretty gruelling drive home, thanks to some of the aforementioned single carriageway roads. Eventually I was back on the motorway though, but I still didn't get home till 1.30am. After checking my laptop for various updates I got to sleep around 3am and had the best nights sleep I'd had in a long time.



THE SILVERLANDS is a traditional non league ground with some nice features. The main part of the ground is the stand which holds around 400.There are also some covered areas, mainly behind the goal to the right, where the home fans normally congregate, as well as down the opposite side. There is a decent sized bar too as well as a club shop and tea bar, neither of which are amazing, but do the job perfectly well


























1 comment:

  1. You've now been to Salford? You can live the rest of your life knowing you never have to go there again!

    ReplyDelete