Saturday, 28 July 2012

Holyport - Summerleaze Village




Holyport FC
Summerleaze Village
Blackamoor Lane
Maidenhead
Berkshire
SL6 8SP

01628 627066






Matchday Number: 207
Thursday 26th July 2012

Holyport 2-2 Windsor
Pre Season Friendly




I had first planned to go to Holyport on Tuesday, 13 July for their game against Slough Town, but all those plans changed when I decided to pick up a new laptop in Huddersfield. So on that day I decided to go to Alfreton Town v Barnsley instead, owing to me being able to kill 2 birds with one stone and save petrol money for another trip up there at the same time. I've been meaning to go to Holyport for ages actually, when I looked at the map of the grounds are needed to visit it always been so close to home, but I've never really found a convenient time, even just to take pictures. So I kept an eye on the pre season friendlies and selected one v Windsor to go to.


On the day, it was absolutely scorching, one of the hottest days of the year, and so I was glad to be getting out of the house. I had my dinner and left just before 7, getting to the ground at 7.30. After parking up, I made my way into the ground. Compared to the other friendlies I have been to, and other prices I have seen, £5 entry was a bit steep, and was the same as their league price. Still, it's not a lot of money, and I did get a free teamsheet. After wandering round and taking some pictures, I settled on standing on the side opposite the main stand, so the sun wouldn't be shining in my eyes. By now, a boiling day had settled into a pleasant warm evening, perfect conditions for watching football. A report from the Windsor FC website is below.


Windsor had to settle for a draw in their penultimate pre-season friendly as they were held 2-2 by Holyport.
Despite a strong start Windsor soon found themselves behind when Jamie Handscomb muscled his way through to hit a deflected effort past Darren Walsh.

Holyport's lead didn't last long as Ben Harris was put through by Ryan O'Toole and rounded Carl Dennison before slotting the ball into the net.
Adam Kirby then came close to turning the ball into his own net from a Ben Porter cross only for Dennison and the post to come to the rescue.
A heavy fall for Jamie Houghton brought his game to an early finish and will now have to wait for scan results on a potentially fractured wrist.
Despite that, Windsor continued to push forward and soon took the lead when O'Toole held off both Stece Croxford and Jack Haring before turning the ball past Dennison.
A string of changes at half time and throught the second half did nothing to keeo the game flowing and kept chances to a minimum.
Joe Chandiram and Leeyon Phelan both had chances to extend Windsor's lead but it would be Holyport who would find the net again.
Daniel Sharp picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and struck the ball past Rob Bullivant via another deflection.


SUMMERLEAZE VILLAGE has seen some redevelopment in recent years, and is a pretty nice place to watch a game. The main stand is one of those Arena type ones, holding around 100 people and offering a decent and comfortable view. The only  other stand in the ground is behind the goal, another metal one, this time a terrace holding around 200. The rest of the ground is just flat, with some hard standing behind the goals. The food bar looked to have a good range of stuff. Pub wise I am not sure as I didn't have anything, but there may be a bar at the local cricket club. It's quite a long way from anywhere, I didn't see much nearby, so that may be the only option.
















No comments:

Post a Comment