Thursday, 19 April 2012

Metropolitan Police FC - Imber Court





Metropolitan Police FC
Imber Court
Ember Lane
East Molesey
Surrey
KT8 0BT


0208 398 1267
Official Website






Matchday Number: 199
Wednesday 18th April 2012
Kingstonian - Hendon
London Senior Cup Final


As I was short of a game in midweek and was at home on my own, I decided to go to the London Senior Cup Final between Kingstonian and Hendon, being played at Imber Court, home of Metropolitan Police FC. The actual players nowadays at Met Police are no longer real officers, but they do get to use their facilities. Met Police actually played quite a big part in my team, Wycombe's history. It was a shock FA Trophy defeat to that team (at the time when they did actually field some policemen in their side) that prompted Jim Kelman's resignation. He left Wycombe 17th in the Conference. The next manager appointed was one Martin O'Neill. In his first part season he won the Berks & Bucks Cup and pulled us up to 10th in the League. Then we had 5 years of great success, winning trophies galore and when he left us in 1995, we were 6th in what is now called League One.


On the day of the game, I left home at around 5.20, popping into Morrisons for a snack and a drink before going to the game. I expected the M25 to be it's usual frustrating self for a midweek evening. And it turned out to be true with nearly an hours delay meaning that I only just made kick off. Luckily there wasn't much to do around the ground that I could see, so I didn't miss much. And I had no problem paying the £10 entry and getting a free programme thrown into the bargain. Though disappointment was found at the tea bar. I was hoping to do a review for the epic site Non League Chips  but they didn't sell them, nor Bovril for that matter. Luckily I had been fed and watered beforehand, so it wasn't too much of an issue. Almost immediately after getting into the ground, the game started, so I had to take pictures of the ground as I made my way round to my seat. Below is a brief summary of the game from the Hendon FC website....


Hendon won the London Senior Cup final this evening, seeing off Kingstonian with a 2-0 victory.


In what was the Greens fifth final in the competition in seven years, they regained the trophy they last won in 2009.

Following a fairly even first half, Hendon took control of the game, and took the lead with an excellent strike from Darren Currie in the 56th minute.
The win was secured about fifteen minutes later when Jack Mazzone cooly lobbed the Kingstonian keeper and as has been the case so often this season, the Greens were able to see out the game comfortably. 

Also from the Hendon site, there are a cracking set of photos of the match action up on Flickr

After the game, it was a much easier journey home, and I was back at my house by 10.15, a 45 minute journey, compared to the 2 hour trek to the game. Overall I enjoyed the evening and it was well worth the effort. Ground 200 for a game to follow at AFC Telford on Saturday, at the moment, no new ground planned in until next season after that one.

IMBER COURT is s smart ground, probably good enough for Conference South football. There is a decent sized main stand, raised above pitch level, so you get a good view of the action on the pitch. This covers about half of one side of the pitch, the same side as the teabar and toilets. Behind one goal is a few steps of covered terracing, while the rest is the same as this, only open to the elements. There is no club shop to my knowledge, and I am unsure about the clubhouse, but I'd imagine there is one there. I'm not sure what is nearby, as I arrived in a bit of a rush, but it looked mainly residential housing around the ground.














No comments:

Post a Comment